I absolutely love getting new ideas for healthy small meal and snack options so I thought I would share some of my top favorites. I usually don’t consider any of my meals “snacks” as I usually aim to get a good ratio of protein, carbohydrates, and fats every time I eat. Sometimes, when people think of ‘snacks’ they think of a chips, or a granola bar, or a handful of nuts. And while some of these are good choices, they are only supplying a main source of ONE macronutrient vs having a mix of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. The chips and granola bar are mostly carbohydrates and the nuts are mainly fats. I am not saying you MUST eat all 3 macronutrients at each meal, but I aim to do this and always feel fuller for longer. Meals around my workouts I aim to eat slightly less fat than the rest of my meals to ensure my energy is going towards my muscles, not my digestive system!
You can check out my Grocery Shopping staples to ensure you have everything on hand!
1. Fat free or low fat plain greek yogurt, stevia, blueberries, cereal (I prefer Chex or Cheerios varieties, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Cinnamon Life, and Kashi)
2. Quest protein bars
3. Rice cakes with protein frosting (vanilla protein powder mixed with water or greek yogurt), banana
4. Low fat cottage cheese, cinnamon, apple slices, walnuts
5. Peanut butter banana protein smoothie: Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein, 1 frozen banana, 1 Tbsp natural PB or 2 Tbsp PB2, 1 cup ice
6. Extra thin corn tortillas or brown rice cakes, tuna, avocado
7. Trail mix: 1 oz almonds, high fiber cereal, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 Tbsp chocolate chips
8. Hard-boiled eggs (2) with veggies
9. Protein shake, 1 banana, 16 almonds
10. Fiber One brownie, peanut butter, greek yogurt
11. ThinkThin protein bars
12. Pumpkin protein oatmeal: oats and vanilla protein powder cooked with water, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice swirled in, almond butter
13. Whole wheat waffles with peanut butter and low sugar raspberry jam, 1 scoop protein
14. Medjool dates filled with almond butter and chocolate/carob chips, protein sludge (protein powder mixed with water)
16. Egg white muffins (1 egg and 3-4 egg whites, mixed veggies, baked in muffin cups)
19. Sweet potato topped with cottage cheese and cashew or almond butter
20. Low fat string cheese, grapes, almonds
Question: What are your favorite quick and easy snack ideas?